Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Ch-ch-changes.

Today seems to be the day that I can blog. It also happens to be the day that I have... maybe a few things to talk about.

First of all, we got our apartment on Sunday. To be quite frank, it looked pretty crappy. Apparently Previous Tenant did not clean at all, and in fact left about 50 of her record albums, a few q-tips, and two odd figurines behind. Luckily we got some awesome landlords who know very well how gross it is and how clean it needs to be when we move in there. They've been working all week so far to clean it, which is awesome of them to do. Luckily our plan wasn't to fully move in and sleep there until Memorial Day, but we also wanted to do a lot more moving this week than we'll be able to given that they're painting the place on Friday. Eh, whatever.

If you didn't hear, it turns out that I was stupidly notifying people of my new address (people = magazines and the DMV) but gave them the wrong address. I should be receiving a new license and registration with the wrong address on them at 2425 Grove, as opposed to 2225 Grove. I also had a package sent there. Sent back, needless to say. I'm debating whether or not to stop by there and own up to my mistake in case they've got any mail that I need (it would probably be smart to snag that license from them).

I did, however, realize my mistake and correct it. Therefore I have indeed received my new license! It's kinda drab. Black and white photo. But I was one of the lucky ones to get my old photo on it instead of having to take a no-smile photo. See?



In other news, Lost is over. (Skip this paragraph if you haven't watched it but think you will) I'm not sure that it's quite hit me yet, though yesterday was rough because usually I'm pretty excited about Tuesdays. Not so much. I think I like the way it ended. There are a lot of people who didn't, and who feel that the "everybody's dead" thing was a cop out, but it only would have been a cop out if they'd used that to explain away everything that we still didn't understand. A lot of people still think that's what they did, but they misunderstand. I'd like to note that what I'm about to say is a combination of my interpretation and the explanation that was provided at the end of the show. Basically, the alternate reality that we've seen this season, their lives in LA, was understood to be a "flash-sideways." What we learn from Christian is that they were actually flash-way-forwards. To hear the words "we all died" come out of Jack's mouth almost shut down our hearing but the truth is that yes, they all died, in their own times. This reality that we've seen was merely a waiting area until they could all move on together. What viewers wanted to see was what happened after the island, for example what happened to Kate, Sawyer, and the other people who were on the plane at the end of the show. Sure, maybe it would have been a happy ending to see Kate live a long life, maybe get married and have some real kids of her own, but never could it have been as satisfying as to see them all back together again in a way that they never could have been because of all the things that came between them. It was happier to finally see them all peaceful and without worry because they just wanted to be with these people with whom they'd formed these incredible, life-changing bonds. Sure, the island was weird and there were strange things that happened. I know there are a lot of people who feel unsatisfied with the explanations about the island. But what those people don't understand is that even though this show takes place on this strange island, it's about the characters, not the island. The writers fooled us into thinking it was about the island, but the truth is that people come and go. They conquer, they destroy, they change the makeup of the island, but the island will still be there and still do what it does even when these people are gone. 

That's enough of that. Sorry. Um, on another note, Sex and the City 2 comes out this weekend. When I first heard that they were making a sequel, I didn't care for it. I loved the first one so much, and I was seriously concerned that they would ruin it all by doing this. And honestly, they still might. But who am I kidding? I love Sex and the City. Love it. I may not be happy with what this movie does for the overall franchise, but I am positive I will love this movie. 'Nuff said.

Umm.... that's all for now.

2 comments:

shawn said...

If those record albums need a home...

Hope the move goes well!

Susannah said...

You commented before I finished!