Tuesday, June 08, 2010

sex and cilantro and weddings and oatmeal

Is that how you spell that? Nuptials? Nuptuals? Google spell check tells me it's nuptials.

Before I begin anything I'd like to say that the oatmeal I'm eating right now is delicious. Hence the "oatmeal" in the title of this post. That's all.

Sister got married this weekend!



The night began with tears (duh) as my dad walked my sister down the aisle in a beeeeeaaaauuuuutiful outdoor ceremony at my parents' farm. The night ended with about 30 people in the pool in either their undies or their dress. Add about 1,284 bobby pins from the bridesmaids' hair, a twelve-pack of broken Beck's (Bruce), several broken votives at the bottom of the pool, two cut feet, and ridiculous joy at how the night was ending. Another successful Thomson family wedding which will be talked about nonstop until the next one. Jim Thomson, you're up next.

Speaking of up next: Sex and the City 2. In my last blog I said I would address it later, and now it's later, so I'm addressing it. I hope I've given those of you who want to see it enough time to see it. I probably won't spoil anything except your expectations. Here was my biggest problem with SATC2: You know that magic you feel the moment the first movie started? That feeling of giddiness because you LOVED the show and they canceled it but now it's back!? That isn't there in this movie. Not once. It all feels... forced. The ladies look like they're almost too old to be doing this anymore. The writing was pretty bad. That witty banter that they usually have is ill-timed. For pete's sake, they spend more of the movie in Abu Dabi than in New York. Sure, they went to Mexico in SATC1, but they spent about 30 minutes there. This movie even starts with that Jay-Z/Alicia Keys song about New York, and we barely see them there.

(If you haven't seen the movie, you might want to skip this paragraph.) Furthermore, this movie is so negative. I understand that every character needs a conflict, but come on. I can understand Carrie's reaction to Big wanting to take two days a week off from their marriage - that sucks. But she's plagued by it for the entire movie and there's nothing else good in her life. Charlotte's problems with her kids are understandable. I can definitely get the frustration and helplessness of taking care of a child who cries all the time. But the issue of the nanny who doesn't wear a bra? Really? That's only a "scared my husband's cheating" problem if the husband actually shows signs of being interested in the nanny. Come on, it's Harry. That would never be believable. For her to be obsessed with that the whole time they're in Abu Dabi is contrived. And please... let's talk about Samantha. She's using dozens of pills and creams to slow menopause and her conflict in the film is that.... they're confiscated at security? That's it? So she has to deal with the same thing everybody else deals with at her age. Big deal. Honestly, the most entertaining part of the movie is Miranda, who has quit her job and definitely shows a more carefree, excited attitude while they're abroad (which made me laugh out loud several times).

I'm not even going to touch the karaoke scene.

Here's my problem. I love Sex and the City. Like truly, sincerely love it. I've seen every season several times. I just watched season six (for probably the seventh time) while I was unpacking my apartment. I can't count how many times I've seen the first movie, since I turn it on without fail every time I see it playing on the movie channels. Going into this movie, I thought that it didn't matter how bad the movie was because it's still Sex and the City. It's not as though the movie has ruined the whole franchise, but I wish so badly that they'd left it at the amazingness that was the first movie: a perfect wrap up to the series.

Having said all this... I will probably watch the movie several more times. I don't know what will happen, if I'll feel better or worse about it, but I need to see every detail a few more times.

You know, it's taken me so long to write this that I feel as though it should be later than it is. It's 9:36am. It's too early. I still have two and a half more hours here at work. So let me tell you about....

Chimichurri sauce! I almost forgot that I wanted to write about this. Last night Corbin and I cooked our first meal in our new kitchen: flat iron steak with chimichurri sauce, grilled zucchini, and corn. It was delicious, but VERY smokey in a kitchen without a vent. Usually we make this meal on the grill, but seeing as we don't have an outside space to have a grill, we made it on a two-burner grill pan on the stove. We had fans running, windows open... we were afraid we'd set off the smoke alarm, until we realized we don't have one (what?). Anyway, it was great. But you NEED this recipe for chimichurri sauce because it is deliiiicious. Put it on everything. Even a cracker.

1/3 cup packed fresh cilantro
1/3 cup packed fresh parsley
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Combine all ingredients in a small food processor. Process. Enjoy.

No comments: