Monday, August 09, 2010

Summer Anthems

As our beach trip approaches, I am become very aware of the music that has defined our past beach trips. Last year we listened to a lot of the Arcade Fire's Neon Bible. I remember this because one night on the boardwalk, a shop was blasting "No Cars Go," and like the awkward people we are, Corbin and I stood in the store listening to it because I loved it so much. At first we were able to play it off like we were looking around, but come on, it's a long song and those shops are only so big. So we just stood there kind of bouncing, trying to make it clear that we were listening to the song. In retrospect, we probably could have sat on a bench outside. The store front was completely open.

Anyway, it's interesting that the Arcade Fire was our defining music last summer because they just came out with a new album, The Suburbs, and Corbin saw them in concert a few days ago. Before the concert, we were both pretty iffy about the album... since the concert he's listened to it nonstop, and it's totally growing on me. I realize this is how I learned to love Funeral and Neon Bible as well, so I have faith in the end result here. I can tell already that the Arcade Fire will once again be our defining music, and I'm excited about that, but it inspired me to put together a playlist of the songs that I've loved this summer. I'd like to share it with you. Note: I am opening myself up for judgment beyond reason by putting some of these songs on here (cough... Adam Lambert...) but what's the point in doing this if I'm not going to be honest? Judge away. I also apologize that some of these songs have been on here previously.




No comments: